It could be used for many things.
- As a B&B, sure, but it is basically two large houses, joined by a door in the hallway of the hotel part. It is bigger than it looks on the outside or on the schematic, it's 518 sq. meters!
- So, it could be shared by two or more families or even a bunch of couples!
- It would also be wonderful as a base for a foundation that brings volunteers to the area.
- It could also be an investment. It’s in a great area and property values are rising fast. We have someone who has expressed interest in renting the whole place to use as a B&B.
The hotel side is fully furnished. It includes everything you need to run it as a hotel, even sheets!
- The kitchen is fully equipped with a fridge, 2 tables, microwave, oven/stovetop, 2 sinks, pots, pans, dishes, etc.
- There is a laundry room with a washer and dryer. The dryer works, the washing machine should be replaced as it is costing more these days to fix it than is reasonable.
- There is also a living room,1/2 common bathroom, 5 good-sized private bathrooms with private bathrooms with showers, patios shared between rooms facing the backyard (jungly with almond trees, bamboo, etc. and a huge BBQ), and what we call the family room that faces the street. The family room is a huge private room that we have used as a hostel room in the past. It has 6 full-size built-in lockers, a bunk bed, 2 single beds, a double bed, and a table. One of the 5 private rooms facing the backyard has a bunk bed and double bed, 3 just double beds, and one has a double bed and a single bed. One of the private rooms and its bathroom is wheelchair accessible.
- We call it a hotel, but we are in the B&B section of TripAdvisor. It is #2 and has more than 100 positive reviews. It goes over great with foreigners, no so great with Ecuadorians. We are also listed with Booking.com and Expedia (plus several others that don’t actually generate reservations). Confession: we are not busy, tourism is low and the market seems saturated, but I do think someone who is good with marketing could turn it around.
The house is 2 bedroom, 2 ½ baths, with a small laundry room and outdoor area with a utility sink.
- It has 2 very large bedrooms. One has a large bathroom with a shower, tub, and 2 sinks. The bathroom in the 2 nd bedroom is also very big and is wheelchair accessible.
- The house living room and kitchen is all one huge area. Check out the panoramic shot of the living room!
- The house side also has a ½ bathroom and a laundry area.
- The house is not furnished, though the stovetop in the kitchen will come along with it.
- There is also a garage. We are not selling the whole garage, so what you would buy is a 1 ½ car garage.
- Also note, we are selling only the first floor, the 2 nd floor is just a roof. If we come back someday, we will put stairs to the right of the building and build us an apartment up there. There are interior stairs in the hotel portion that we will wall off. The building is set on 3 lots, the land around the hotel will be shared.
- The whole place has 3-foot ceilings and cement construction. Between that and fans in each room, the temperature is comfortable without air conditioning. Every once in a while, the afternoons get a bit warm inside and it takes a while to cool off. It is so nice outdoors, though, after the sun goes down (every day at 6:30pm, as Ecuador is on the equator). Temps in this area exist in a very narrow range. It never gets above about 86F and seldomly goes below 76F. I always know if it has dipped below 76F at night because my coconut oil hardens!
- We live in a great neighborhood, with a huge new park just a few blocks away. We have nice, friendly neighbors and there is a small store 1 minute away walking if you need to pick up something. At night, everyone goes out! We feel safe there and you will see that everyone else feels the same. You can walk outside at night in Tena. At least this part, anyway. We are 15-20 minutes walking or $1.25 taxi ride from the center of town. Our neighborhood’s main street is 3 short blocks away. We love it, but prices are going up with the finishing of the new park. That is why we are saving the upstairs for ourselves. It is already becoming tough to find anything nice and close in like this, in this area.
Let us know if we can answer any questions for you,
Michelle Klein and Gary Garces
P.S. Michelle is best reached by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, Gary by phone: internet phone: 480-264-8579 or Ecuadorian cell: 0995498228 (He’s on WhatsApp: +593 99 549 8228).
P.S.S. One of the pics in a schematic of the building. It doesn’t include the 2 nd bedroom on the house side! We put that on as an addition later.
P.S.S. We will help you get up to speed on how to get around, where to get the stuff you want, etc. We've got it figured out and are happy to help!